Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral
for Optimal Pediatric Health and Wellness
Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral is a comprehensive, high potency, biologically active children’s multivitamin formulated by Dr. Amber Brooks, DC, CACCP for optimal whole body wellness. This is an ideal multivitamin for every child due to its active ingredients, potency and effectiveness. It is also appropriate for those children with developmental delays, sensitivities, Autism Spectrum Disorders and severe nutritional needs.
After hundreds of studies and her own analysis of thousands of children Dr. Brooks, DC, CACCP has reached the point of certainty that proper nutritional supplementation, diet modification and elimination of underlying issues is the most effective strategy for improving and maintaining greater health outcomes for children. The simplest strategy is to add high-quality supplements to significantly improve mental, physical and emotional function.
This supplement is in a vegetarian capsule and is free of common allergens including milk/gluten, casein, eggs, fish, peanuts, wheat, corn, yeast, soy, stearates and preservatives. In addition there are no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors. Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral is GMP certified and FDA label compliant.
- Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral utilizes vitamins and minerals in their most biologically active forms for better nutrient absorption and utilization.
- Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral provides whole nutrient families instead of the isolated nutrients found in most multivitamins.
- This supplement is in a vegetarian capsule and is free of common allergens including milk/gluten, casein, eggs, fish, peanuts, wheat, corn, yeast, soy, stearates and preservatives. In addition there are no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors. Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral is made by a GMP certified and FDA compliant company in Dallas, Texas.
- The minerals in OpitPedi are TRAACS® nutritional complexes, known as the only patented, scientifically validated chelates on the market.
- Quatrefolic®, a natural, biologically active form of folate, is far superior to the synthetic and inactive folic acid found in most nutritional supplements and is fit for those with MTHFR polymorphisms.
- The full-spectrum form of vitamin E in Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral provides high levels of gamma-tocopherol, an important antioxidant and the primary type of vitamin E found in whole, unprocessed foods.
- In addition to vitamin K1, Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral provides vitamin K2 in the form of menaquinone-4 (MK-4) and menaquinone-7 (MK-7), offering unique benefits for cardiovascular and bone health not provided by vitamin K1 alone.
- Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral incorporates a Cell Resilience Blend™ that helps protect every cell of the body from the ravages of free radical damage.
- Schisandra is one of the premier herbs used in Chinese medicine to help people recover from acute and chronic liver disease; it protects the liver from dietary and environmental toxins by increasing glutathione.
- SpiruBlu is an improved form of spirulina: it contains 30% more phycocyanin, the phytonutrient associated with spirulina’s immune boosting, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant activities and reduction of heavy metal mediated injury.
- To order please visit www.healthykidsnutrients.com
The Solution to Optimal Pediatric Health
Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral is a physician based formula that goes beyond filling nutritional gaps to propel a child’s health to the next level–with bioactive nutrient forms, whole nutrient families, and phytonutrients from the world’s healthiest superfoods and botanicals a child’ nutritional imbalances can be addressed. This formulation has been designed to be tolerated by even the most sensitive child and is based on nutritional imbalances commonly observed in clinical practice. Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral isformulated to help support and improve nutrients deficiencies, digestive function, inflammation, asthma, allergies, immune system, stress, anxiety, detoxification as well as many others.
The Purpose of Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral’s Blend
Aside from the key bioactive vitamins and minerals, Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral offers a blend of ideal super foods and botanicals to address pediatric nutritional imbalances. You will find information below on each ingredient and its powerful use in Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral.
Quatrefolic® is a glucosamine salt of (6S) 5-Metheyltetrahydrofolate provides greater stability and bioavailability as well as higher water solubility as compared to a traditional folic acid or 5-methyltetrahydrofolate calcium salt. This vegetarian form is more bioactive and bioavailable leading the body to recognize it and improve folate levels successfully. In addition, it does not give rise to potentially dangerous side effects associated with folic acid such as masking of vitamin B12 deficiency, buildup of unmetabolized folates in the bloodstream and those with an MTHFR mutations (Pietrzik, 2010).
In children, folate is one of the more common deficiencies and a bioactive folate should be the only option when supplementing. Folate has many important jobs in the methionine, folate and BH4 cycles including building neurotransmitters, producing energy, detoxification and immune function. Given the typical diet and intake many do not get what is needed to maintain a recommended daily allowance let alone to fill a deficiency. Even when eating folate-rich foods many do not see an improvement, thus proper supplementation is suggested.
In addition there are genetic polymorphisms such as the MTHFR mutation, which interrupts the “Methylation Pathway” and leads to a reduced ability to process folic acid/folate into something their body can use, which is why it is imperative to get bioactive folate to these children. The methylation pathway is responsible for many function that include:
- Turn on and off genes (gene regulation)
- Process chemicals, endogenous and xenobiotic compounds (biotransformation)
- Build neurotransmitters (norepinephrine –> epinephrine, serotonin –> melatonin)
- Metabolize neurotransmitters (dopamine, epinephrine)
- Process hormones (estrogen)
- Build immune cells (T cells, NK cells)
- DNA and Histone Synthesis (Thymine aka 5-methyluracil)
- Produce energy (CoQ10, carnitine, creatine, ATP)
- Produce protective coating on nerves (myelination)
- Build and maintain cell membranes (phosphatidylcholine)
SpiruBlu is an organic blue green algae and an improved form of spirulina, which has been researched extensively. Children will benefit from our blend, which contains 30% more phycocyanin, the phytonutrient associated with spirulina’s antioxidant, immune boosting, anti-inflammatory activities and reduction of heavy metal mediated injury (Ivanova, 2010; McCarty, 2007; Shih, 2009).
Schisandra is a woody vine native to eastern Asia. It has long been used in the traditional medicines of Russia and China for a wide variety of conditions including asthma, coughs, diarrhea, insomnia, protection of liver from dietary and environmental toxins and is an antioxidant. Schisandra is also a component which increases hepatic mitochondrial glutathione redox status important for detoxification support in the body (Ip ,1996).
There are no safety concerns according to the FDA GRAS list or Botanical Safety Book for this Class 1 botanical.
Gamma E Mixed Tocopherols
Most multi-vitamins only use the alpha-tocopherol form, which is limited in its use in the body. Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral uses gamma E mixed tocopherols balancing gamma with alpha and others for a broad-spectrum antioxidant. Supplementing Vitamin E properly can lead to dramatic improvements in a number of areas including speech, imitation, coordination, eye contact, behavior, sensory issues, and development of pain sensation (Morris, 2009).
Vitamin E has an important job in neutralizing destructive free radicals and preventing their formation. In children Vitamin E deficiency causes symptoms that overlap those of verbal apraxia, limb dyspraxia, hypotonia, and sensory integration dysfunction. The developing nervous system appears to be especially vulnerable to vitamin E deficiency because children with severe vitamin E deficiency from birth who are untreated may develop neurological symptoms, this is due to fatty acids in the cell membrane being vulnerable to lipid peroxidation.
The minerals in Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral are a Non-GMO source called TRAACS® nutritional complexes, known as the only patented, scientifically validated chelates on the market. Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral has the most effective minerals offering an enhanced nutritional delivery into the body.
The Reasons Every Child Needs a Quality Multivitamin/Mineral
A huge increase in the incidence and prevalence of chronic diseases has been reported in the United States over the last 20 years. Many children today suffer from key nutrient deficiencies due to poor diet, undernourishment, picky eating and digestive malabsorption. Doctors are faced with these multifaceted issues and continue to see an increase in children with food allergies, weak immune systems, asthma, anxiety, eczema, stress, mood disorders, trouble with attention/focus and many with weak detoxification capability. In addition, children diagnosed with Autism are now 1 in every 54 boys and 1 per 68 children (CDC, 2014). One of the common themes in all these children is nutrient issues.
In today’s world we grow our food sources in rapidly depleted soils, use conventional, processed foods which are stripped of vital nutrients, and the Standard American Diet (SAD) is becoming less and less nutritious. In our fast food society it is no surprise to find key nutrient deficiencies found in those diets high in processed food which directly impact the performance of children’s brains and bodies, on the other hand there are children with poor diets and malnourishment. Due to this issue The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) was conducted, they found fewer than 15 percent of U.S. children eat the recommended five servings of fruit and vegetables each day. The same study also found that on any given day, 45 percent of U.S. children aged 6-17 eat no fruit and 20 percent eat less than one serving of vegetables (Myrdal, 2014).
Many parents struggle to feed their child due to “picky eating”, the child has a limited number of foods they will ingest, some as few as five and this creates a multifaceted problem with weight gain, development, and nutrient deficiencies. In almost all cases these children have underlying inflammatory issues inside causing them not to feel well and in turn they select the “safe foods” they feel they can tolerate. Now, this does not mean their select menu of nuggets, french fries and milk are good for them. In the case of a picky eater it is imperative to supplement with a high quality bioactive multivitamin/mineral while the doctor works on finding the root cause of the problem. In many cases malabsorption is a key issue due to inflammation and therefore the nutrients from food does not get into their bodies and physical, emotional or mental symptoms will follow. You may find my book 15 Things Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Your Child helpful to read or give to your patients as this outlines all the key points in foods, nutrition, allergies and common causes of symptoms seen in children in an easy to read format.
There are parents out there feeding their children superlative diets. It is still possible to come up short nutritionally even when the diet is good. There are a few reasons, first is the “fresh” food they think they are eating may not be so fresh. Second, unknown IgG food sensitivities and lastly the role genetics plays in nutrition.
The first way a child can still come up nutritionally short despite a good diet is in part due to the “fresh” produce consumed, which has been shown to lose 50 to 70 percent of some nutrients before reaching grocery stores, this means less nutrition for a child. In the U.S., fruits and vegetables from North America may spend up to
5 days in transit before arriving at a your grocery store (Barrett, 2007). The fruits and vegetables grown in the southern hemisphere are transported by airfreight and can take from a few days to several weeks to arrive at your store (Barrett, 2007). This means a significant length of time following harvest has passed before the consumer eats the fruits and vegetables, during which time nutrient degradation has occurred. It is important to understand how nutrient degradation is measured. Vitamin C is water soluble and sensitive to heat, light, and oxygen, making it susceptible to loss during both home cooking of fresh fruits and vegetables and thermal processing. For that reason, loss of vitamin C is often used as an index of nutrient degradation.
Here are some facts about the harvesting & processing of healthy foods and associated nutrient depletion:
- Carrots lose up to 90% of their ascorbic acid in processing (Rickman, 2007)
- Canned white asparagus, lentils, and tomatoes destroys 25-30% of ascorbic acid (Rickman, 2007)
- Most fruits and vegetables are composed of 70–90% water and once separated from their source of nutrients (tree, plant, or vine) undergo higher rates of respiration, resulting in moisture loss, quality and nutrient degradation, and potential microbial spoilage (Barrett, 2007).
- Apples and pears are stored for up to 12 months under controlled atmosphere conditions that utilize low oxygen and high carbon dioxide levels to slow down respiration, during this time they lose their nutrient values (Barrett, 2007).
- Mechanical harvesting generally causes more stress and nutrient depletion to the plant tissue (Barrett, 2007).
- The vitamin C loss in vegetables stored at 4 degrees Celsius for 7 days range from 15% for peas to 77% for green beans (Barrett, 2007).
- When fresh vegetables are cooked they lose 15-55% of their vitamin C nutrients (Barrett, 2007).
- The B vitamins, thiamin and vitamin B-6 in particular, are quite sensitive to heat and light, and reported losses as a result of canning range from 7% to 70% for various vegetables. The B vitamins were also sensitive to blanching and freezing, with losses in the range of 20–60% (Barrett, 2007).
The Second way nutrition comes up short is through unknown food sensitivities. One of the most common irritants to children is food, contributing to massive amounts of ongoing inflammation. Most adults know if they have allergies, whether they are to food or to the environment. What are less well known are food sensitivities; this is not the same as a food allergy. Physicians commonly do a conventional food allergy test, which specifically looks at the IgE immunoglobins. The foods tested can produce a histamine release within the body and are the ones people think of as classic food allergies, such as eggs and peanuts. Referred to as type 1 food allergies, these are uncommon, affecting approximately 2–5% of the population, mostly children (Brooks, 2013). However, a food sensitivity test measures IgG immunoglobins, the most common, and looks at long-term exposure to a specific food. IgG food allergies are a delayed onset food allergy, considered type 3 reactions, and 40–60% of the population has reported having a delayed food allergy (Brooks, 2013). Unlike IgE food reactions, an IgG food reaction will not always give obvious signs like a rash or hay fever. The signs of IgG sensitivity range and are usually subtle in children. So, repeated ingestion of irritating foods, causes damage to the digestive system and activation of the immune response over and over again. The recurring inflammation can wreak havoc on a child’s developing digestive system and brain. If you take into account that roughly 70% of the immune system is found in the gut, it’s clear why food can be a contributing cause of inflammation. The digestive tract— comprised of the mouth, esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines, and anus—connect the gut and the brain. So when the gut is inflamed, it naturally works its way up into the neurological system, contributing to and in some cases creating the developmental, neurological or nutritional symptoms seen in children.
The last and possibly newest discovery in nutrient depletion is nutrigenomics. According to UC Davis, “Nutritional genomics, or nutrigenomics, is the study of how foods affect our genes and how individual genetic differences can affect the way we respond to nutrients (and other naturally occurring compounds) in the foods we eat.” Nutrigenomics has received much attention recently because of its potential for preventing, mitigating, or aiding chronic disease. The conceptual basis for this new branch of genomic research can best be summarized by the following five tenets of nutrigenomics:
- Under certain circumstances and in some individuals, diet can be a serious risk factor for a number of diseases.
- Common dietary chemicals can act on the human genome, either directly or indirectly, to alter gene expression or structure.
- The degree to which diet influences the balance between healthy and disease states may depend on an individual’s genetic makeup.
- Some diet-regulated genes (and their normal, common variants) are likely to play a role in the onset, incidence, progression, and/or severity of chronic diseases.
- Dietary intervention based on knowledge of nutritional requirement, nutritional status, and genotype (i.e., “personalized nutrition”) can be used to prevent, mitigate or aid with chronic disease.(UC Davis).
The most well known polymorphism is the MTHFR mutation. The MTHFR (Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase) genetic mutation, or polymorphism was first discovered as a result of the human genome project. The C677T was found in 1995 and A1298C in 2001. People who have this mutation have an interruption in the “Methylation Pathway” and a reduced ability to process folic acid/folate into something their body can use. In children, folate is one of the more common deficiencies. Folate has many important jobs in the methionine, folate and BH4 cycles including building neurotransmitters, producing energy, detoxification and immune function. Given the typical diet and intake many do not get what is needed to maintain a recommended daily allowance let alone to fill a deficiency. Even when eating folate-rich foods many do not see an improvement, thus proper supplementation is suggested with biologically active ingredients only.
There is research to suggest a link between MTHFR mutation and the following (Lynch, 2014):
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Down Syndrome
- Heart disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Turner Syndrome
Dr. Amber Brooks, advocates for proper nutrition and early intervention and knows that it is often the key to wellness, once you know what you are dealing with you can do something to help the body function optimally. Genetics cannot be “fixed” BUT we can support the system when we know where the broken link is and potentially prevent further damage with proper bioactive nutrient supplementation.
Can I open the capsules if my child does not swallow pills?
Yes, You may open capsules and mix well into cold or room temperature food or drink. A small portion to mix into is best to ensure complete ingestion of product.
What is the best way to teach my child how to swallow pills?
There are a number of YouTube videos, which are helpful. You can go to a health food store and get empty veggie caps and use those to teach and practice. I have seen children as young as 4 swallow caps, with a little practice you may succeed too.
My child has been sensitive to supplement introduction in the past, what is the best way to proceed?
This formula had sensitive child in mind when Dr. Amber Brooks began to work on it. We recommend you start with the dosing for “sensitive children” and find a doctor to do additional testing for underlying issues including genetic issues, GI inflammation, allergies and infection.
What is the best beverage/food to mix the Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral in?
As far as beverages are concerned orange juice, lemonade, pomegranate or something equally sour/sweet. For food it will need to be cold or room temperature, many try applesauce, coconut yogurt or homemade smoothies. You will only want to use a small amount of juice/food to equal a few sips/bites so they get the whole supplement ingested.
Is this supplement safe for all children?
Yes, this supplement is safe for children ages 2 and up. This supplement is GMP certified and FDA label compliant. The multivitamin is in a vegetarian capsule and is free of common This supplement is in a vegetarian capsule and is free of common allergens including milk/gluten, casein, eggs, fish, peanuts, wheat, corn, yeast, soy, stearates and preservatives. In addition there are no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors. In addition, the superfood ingredients pose no safety concerns according to the FDA GRAS list or Botanical Safety Book for this Class 1 botanical.
Are there any contraindications to taking Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral?
You will want to have your doctor check to see if there are any contraindications to any medicines you are currently giving your child before taking Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral. We have strived to make this as benign as possible as to not interact with medications, please consult with your doctor for your specific child.
What are common side effects?
We have not found there to be any side effects clinically however, there are medically fragile children that may react as they would to most anything else new. We suggest using the dosing instructions for “sensitive children” for maximum success in introducing Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral.
My child has food allergies, should I be concerned?
If your child has food allergies you will want to consult our website for the particular food sources in Healthy Kids Multivitamin & Mineral. However, this supplement is in a vegetarian capsule and is free of common allergens including milk/gluten, casein, eggs, fish, peanuts, wheat, corn, yeast, soy, stearates and preservatives. In addition there are no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors.